20 Recycling and Trash Tips for 2020
We’re already almost an entire month into 2020 and we hope your year is off to a great start. Here are 20 recycling and trash tips to kick off your 2020.
- Download your 2020 Recycling Schedule today!
- Recyclable materials in Peoria – cans, cartons, glass, paper, plastic containers. Check out Curbside vs. Drop Off – What Goes Where? for details on where other materials go.
- If you’re not sure if an item is recyclable, follow this motto – when in doubt, throw it out.
- No plastic bags in the recycling cart. These are not recyclable and should go to a retail drop-off location.
- Hoses, wires, and chains are not recyclable and cause major problems in the recycling center equipment.
- Is your recycling cart overflowing each week? Each city of Peoria household can have up to two recycling carts. Sign up for a second recycling cart, at no cost.
- Flatten cardboard to save space in your recycling cart. See other tips about paper recycling in Yes, Peoria Picks Up! Paper.
- Leave the labels and lids on your cans and bottles.
- Trash collection is unlimited. If you have more trash than can fit into the cart, put it into a black plastic bag and set it next to your trash cart on collection day.
- The biggest rule of thumb with bulky waste – if it can go in a bag, bag it.
- Check out the Fall Cleaning Guide – Bulky Waste for more.
- Make sure electronics, tires, hazardous materials or chemicals, fluorescent tubes, and concrete, rock, or dirt are not put into your trash (or recycling) cart. Visit Other Disposal for drop off locations.
Setting Out the Trash and Recycling Carts
- Are you moving and wondering if your collection day is changing? Visit the Trash Collection Routes Map.
- Make sure the trash and recycling cart lids can close.
- Carts may be set out as early as 3:00 p.m. the day before pickup but must be out by 6:00 a.m. on pickup day to avoid missing a collection.
- Carts, bulky items, and other materials should be spaced three feet apart, and at least three feet from any obstacles (cars, mailboxes, etc.).
- Place the cart so the front is facing outward (handles towards the house) along the edge of the curb or alley.
- There are six holidays that affect collection days – New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. If your collection day falls on or during the week after one of these holidays, the collection will be delayed by one day.
- Do not place carts behind or on top of snow piles. Shovel an area at the curb or alley for your carts.
- Please be patient. It may take drivers longer than normal to navigate with winter weather. If collection is postponed, the information will be posted on the city of Peoria website, social media, and here on PeoriaPicksUp.com.
- Freezing weather can be hard on carts. Report damaged trash carts to the city at (309) 494-8800 or through the Peoria Cares website or app. For damaged recycling carts, call PDC at (309) 674-5176, option 1.
Want to subscribe for the latest Peoria Picks Up updates? Enter your email in the Subscribe to Peoria Picks Up section on the right and click ‘Subscribe.’