Are You a Star Recycler?
Help others learn why it’s important to recycle!
Recycling is like a habit. Once you get used to recycling, it’s hard to stop! This is a good thing. However, it does take some time to form good habits. Habits are usually individualized, but with recycling, it’s even better if you can teach others how to do it. If you have friends or family who don’t recycle, help teach them why it’s important, and how to get started.
There are only three main things for your friends to know: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
Reduce: When buying something ask yourself, “Is this a thing I need? Or is there something else that I could use for the same purpose?
Reuse: Consider investing in products that can be used over and over again instead of disposable ones. Here are some easy habits to adopt:
- Use reusable food containers instead of plastic wrap, small plastic bags, and aluminum foil
- Drink tap water instead of bottled water
- Buy a metal razor with replaceable heads instead of using disposable razors
- Keep reusable bags in your car for groceries
Recycle: This is where their new GFL recycling cart comes in! It’s single stream, so all of their recyclables can be tossed into the same bin.
What can be recycled?
- Plastic containers (#1 -#3, #5, #7)
- Cereal, cake, and food boxes
- Milk cartons and juice boxes
- Office, computer, and notebook paper
- Cardboard (except waxed cardboard – like the kind that frozen food comes in – and greasy cardboard – like pizza boxes with grease marks)
- Newspapers, magazines, phone books
- Brown paper bags
- Junk mail, envelopes (no plastic cards, stick on labels, or unused stamps
- Paperback books
- Carrier stock (soda and beer can carrying cases)
What can’t be recycled?
- Plastic shopping bags
- Bubble wrap
- Clear polystyrene or packing peanuts
- Number 6 plastic (Styrofoam)
Getting Started is Easy!
Call GFL Environment at (309) 688-0760 or click “Sign Up for Recycling” to request your 95-gallon single stream recycling cart with wheels and a lid, with no deposit required. To take advantage of the new recycling collection, you must use the provided cart.
If you have too much recycling for your cart on a regular basis, you may request an additional 95-gallon cart at no cost.