Bathroom Recycling 101
While we often think of the kitchen as the main place of recycling, there is a lot of opportunity for bathroom recycling too.
Let’s take a quick bathroom tour to find recyclables.
- In the closet and cupboards
- The packaging from items like bandages, soap bars, and toothpaste
- Plastic containers
- Such as sunscreen, deodorant, medications
- On the countertop
- Plastic bottles for your hand soap, sanitizer, contact solution, vitamins, mouth wash, etc.
- Moisturizer, hair spray (plastic), and makeup bottles
- In the shower
- Plastic containers of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash
- Metal containers of shave gel
- Under the sink
- Spray bottles of cleaner and bleach
- Plastic bottles of toilet cleaner
- Don’t forget – empty toilet paper roll tubes
So now that we know about bathroom recycling, here are some quick tips on how to recycle these materials.
- For glass and plastic bottles, containers, and tubes:
- Give them a quick rinse and toss them in the recycling bin
- No need to remove any labels
- Keep the lids on (except for pump dispensers – see below for more info)
- For all those boxes
- Remove all contents
- Flatten and place them in your recycling bin
Items for the Trash Cart
For plastics, you can always check these containers for a recycling symbol – typically a triangle made up of three arrows – to know if it can go in your recycling bin. Here are other items that should go in the trash, and not the recycling bin.
- Pump dispensers from soaps, body washes, and other bathroom products
- Plastic bags and pouches
- Tissues, paper towels, and small paper cups
- Old towels, washcloths, or other fabrics
- Electronics such as a hairdryer, curling iron, etc.
And always remember, if you’re not sure if an item is recyclable, when in doubt, throw it out.
Need a Recycling Cart?
Call Peoria Disposal Company (PDC) at (309) 674-5176, option one or click Sign Up for Recycling to request your 95-gallon single-stream recycling cart with wheels and a lid, with no deposit required. To take advantage of the recycling collection, you must use the provided cart (brown cart with orange lid). If you regularly have too much recycling for your cart, you may request an additional 95-gallon cart from PDC at no cost.
Want to subscribe for the latest Peoria Picks Up updates? Enter your email in the Subscribe to Peoria Picks Up section on the right and click ‘Subscribe.’