Earth Day 2022
Are you ready for Earth Day? Earth Day is April 22nd and is a day to bring awareness to the health and well-being of the earth. Pollution, warming temperatures, deforestation, over farming, and litter are just a few examples of the issues affecting our planet. Let’s show appreciation to the earth and also adopt some new eco-friendly habits to invest in our planet!
- Ride your bike or take public transportation. The fewer cars on the road, the less carbon emissions are released into the air.
- Use reusable bags. It’s estimated that Americans use 100 billion plastic bags a year. Production of plastic bags uses a ton of natural resources, which are finite. When plastic bags are thrown away, they take up space in landfills and might end up hurting animals, such as marine wildlife. So next time you go to the store, grab a reusable tote.
- Use a refillable water bottle. Just because we recycle our plastic water bottles doesn’t mean they’re good for the environment. It takes tons of resources to make them, and over two million tons of water bottles still end up in our landfills.
- Buy local. Whether it’s shopping at a local farmers market or visiting a local bookstore, you are not only supporting small businesses, but you are also helping to reduce carbon emissions. Goods that need to be shipped can travel an average of 1,500 miles to get to you. Shipping increases fossil fuel consumption as well. When you buy locally, goods are transported in shorter distances.
- Spend time outside. While Earth Day is a call to action, it’s also a reminder of how beautiful our planet is. Take advantage of it. Spend some time reading outside, have a picnic, go for a walk, and take some breaths of fresh air!
Earth Day is just one calendar date out of the year, but let’s work to live everyday like it’s Earth Day! Visit earthday.org to learn more.