Fall Cleaning Guide – Bulky Waste
Like with Spring Cleaning, we know a lot of us also do Fall Cleaning and want to get rid of old and unused items before winter arrives. Did you know items too big for your trash cart can be set out as bulky waste every week on the same day as your trash collection? No extra cost. No scheduled pick up time needed.
As you’re doing your Fall Cleaning, if you have materials still in good condition, consider donating them. The Salvation Army, Goodwill Industries of Central Illinois and Habitat for Humanity Restore accept many items for reuse, and some offer the option to schedule a pickup.
For damaged, worn, and unusable items, set it out at the curb or alley for collection, wherever you set out your trash cart.
How to Set Out Bulky Waste
- Same starting rule as with trash carts.
- Set it out as early as 3:00 p.m. the day before pickup but must be out by 6:00 a.m. on pickup day.
- Put it in the cart.
- If the item is small enough to fit in your trash cart and has the lid closed, put it in the cart.
- Too big for your trash cart? Bag it.
- Place the tied bag at least three feet away from your carts and any other obstacles (cars, mailboxes, etc.).
- Too big for a black bag?
- Set it at least three feet away from your carts and any other obstacles (cars, mailboxes, etc.).
Common Bulky Waste Items
- Furniture (couches, chairs, tables, etc.)
- Building materials
- Ceiling fans
Items Not Picked Up as Bulky Waste
There are a few items not picked up alley or curbside. For information about how to dispose of these materials, visit Other Disposal.
- Electronics (computers, televisions, printers, etc.)
- Hazardous materials or chemicals
- Concrete, rock, or dirt
- Fluorescent tubes
If you have questions if an item can be set out for bulky waste, call PDC at 309-674-5176, option 1.
Want to subscribe for the latest Peoria Picks Up updated? Enter your email in the Subscribe to Peoria Picks Up section on the right and click ‘Subscribe.’