New Year, New Resolution! Start Recycling!
Happy New Year! If you haven’t committed to a new year’s resolution yet, consider starting recycling (if you’re not already). Recycling is easy—it doesn’t take much to get into the recycling routine. Following the steps and tips below make a positive impact on our environment.
Step 1: Reduce
It’s tempting to want to stay up to date with tech and kitchen gadgets and fashion trends but being environmentally friendly means scaling back buying things you don’t really need that might end up getting thrown away. When buying something ask yourself, “Is this a thing I need? Or is there something else at home that I could use for the same purpose?”
Step 2: Reuse
Scale down on single use plastics and other items. So many of our everyday products are designed to be used once or twice and then thrown away. Consider investing in products that can be used over and over again. Here are some easy habits to adopt:
- Use reusable food containers instead of plastic wrap, small plastic bags, or aluminum foil
- Consider a reusable water bottle instead of buying water in single use plastic bottles
- Buy a metal razor with replaceable heads instead of using disposable razors
- Use worn out cotton clothing instead of paper towels for wiping up messes
- Keep reusable bags in your car for groceries
Step 3: Recycle
What can I recycle?
- Plastic containers (#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7)
- Cereal, cake, and food boxes
- Milk cartons and juice boxes
- Office, computer, and notebook paper
- Cardboard (except waxed cardboard – like the kind that frozen food comes in – and greasy cardboard – like pizza boxes with grease marks)
- Newspapers, magazines, phone books
- Brown paper bags
- Junk mail, envelopes (no plastic cards, stick on labels, or unused stamps)
- Paperback books
- Carrier stock (soda and beer can carrying cases)
- Glass bottles and jars used for food and beverages
- Aluminum, steel, and tin cans
What can’t I recycle?
- Plastic shopping bags (check with local retail outlets)
- Bubble wrap
- Clear polystyrene or packing peanuts
- Number 6 plastic (Styrofoam)
Getting Started is Easy!
Call GFL Environment at 309-688-0760 or click “Sign Up for Recycling” to request your 95-gallon single stream recycling cart with wheels and a lid, with no deposit required. To take advantage of every other week recycling collection, you must use the provided cart.
If you have too much recycling for your cart on a regular basis, you may request an additional 95-gallon cart at no cost.
Want to subscribe for the latest Peoria Picks Up updates? Enter your email in the Subscribe to Peoria Picks Up section on the right and click ‘Subscribe.’