Recycling Kitchen Plastics
Plastic bottles, containers, and jugs are found throughout the kitchen, from bottled mixed nuts to pasta sauce and ground coffee. Plastic is a common way for companies to package products safely. But what happens after those containers get home and get emptied?
With single-stream recycling in the city of Peoria, you can toss most of your used plastics into your recycling cart (brown cart with orange lid). Recycling plastic is simple and easy. Give the plastic bottles, containers, and jugs a quick rinse before placing them loosely inside your cart. Then poof! Your old container or bottle will get recycled and remade into something new.
- Once the container is empty, rinse it out to get any leftover food, liquid, or residue out
- Let the plastic dry before placing it into the recycling bin
- If it has a cap, put the cap back on
- Labels are okay to be left on
- No need to flatten plastic bottles, containers, or jugs
What items are recyclable in my kitchen? Here’s a short reference list to give you some guidance.
Bottles, cans, cartons, and jugs
- Dish soap and detergent bottles
- Plastic food and beverage bottles and jars
- Ketchup and salad dressing bottles
- Milk and juice cartons and jugs with lids
- Water, soda, and juice bottles
- Soup, broth, and wine cartons
- Clear plastic egg cartons
- Pet food and treat containers
Tubs, containers, and lids
- Single-serve, clear fruit and vegetable containers
- Margarine, cottage cheese, cream cheese, yogurt, and other tubs
- Yogurt, pudding, and Jell-O cups without lids
Don’t include – No List
- No plastic bags – plastic bags are recyclable but not in your cart. Collect plastic bags and return them to your local grocery or hardware store. Most have plastic bag recycling options in their entranceway.
- No plastic cutlery or straws – these are not recyclable. Toss these into the trash.
Jug, bottle, and tub-shaped plastics are the most widely accepted, but everything else is a bit questionable. When in doubt, throw it out.
Haven’t signed up for a recycling cart?
No problem. You can fill out the online form at Sign-Up for Recycling or by calling PDC at (309) 674-5176, option 1.
Want to subscribe for the latest Peoria Picks Up updates? Enter your email in the Subscribe to Peoria Picks Up section on the right and click ‘Subscribe.’