New for 2019
Starting in 2019, the City of Peoria is updating its yard waste collection program. Changes including a longer yard waste collection period, and going forward, residents will be encouraged to use their own containers for yard waste, which prolongs the life of the City’s trash carts.
What is staying the same?
- Yard waste will continue to be picked up weekly, on the same day as your trash pickup during the yard waste collection season.
- Yard waste containers or bundles need to be set out by 6:00 a.m. and removed from the curb or alley by 5:00 p.m.
- Be sure the container, bag, or bundle is not blocked by cars, snow, or mailboxes.
What is changing?
- Yard waste collection pickup will extend further in the year. Yard waste pickup starts the week of March 18 and will extend to the week of December 9. Why? You asked! Residents wanted a longer collection season so it will start earlier and go later into the year.
- Residents are encouraged to use their own container for yard waste. Why? By using the City of Peoria trash carts for garbage and a separate container for yard waste, it prolongs the life of the City’s cart (and therefore reduces expense).
Approved Yard Waste Containers and Bundle Requirements
Use plastic or metal garbage cans that are between 40 and 45 gallons in size, with two handles, and a tight fitting lid or wheeled carts that either 65 or 95 gallon size. Please label cans or carts with, “Yard Waste Only.” Labels are available at City Hall, Public Works or any Peoria Disposal Company (PDC) location.
- Make sure your container lid is closed.
- When filled, compostable bags should be able to support the weight of the material inside, whether it’s wet or dry (30 pound maximum).
- Make sure your container is three feet away from your trash and recycling cart.
- Please tie bundles with nonmetallic cord, such as twine, keep them less than five feet in length, and less than 50 pounds.
Where do I put my yard waste container and when will it be picked up?
Your yard waste is collected the same day as trash.
Yard waste may be set out as early as 3:00 p.m. the day before pickup and must be out by 6:00 a.m. on the day to avoid missing a collection. After pickup, move your yard waste container from the curb or alley by 5:00 p.m. It needs to be placed in your garage or along the side of your house or garage, it cannot be in front or the back of your home.
Your regular trash pickup will be delayed by one day if it falls on or after the following holidays.
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- July 4th
- Labor Day
- Christmas Day
Acceptable Yard Waste
Seasonal Collection of Christmas Trees – Real Trees Only
- PDC crews will pick up your Christmas trees as part of normal trash collection.
- You do not need to request a special pickup.
- Place your Christmas tree next to your trash and/or recycling carts.
- Remove all lights and decorations.
- If the tree is oversized, cut the tree in half.